Java applet displays screen garbage where there should be text

Sat, 2010-08-14 23:32 by Yuki · Forum/category:

Windows 7 Ultimate - Japanese, with English language pack set to English. Java 6 update 21. I have an online brokerage account, and it displays Japanese perfectly, as does any Japanese Web page I load. I really don't have, and never have had, a problem displaying Japanese. But the brokerage account has a java applet that runs for its options and futures page (a separate page available after logging in). This applet displays rectangles (what is called mojibake in Japanese) where there should be Japanese text (numerals are okay). I have tried to troubleshoot this until I'm numb. Usually I can figure this stuff out myself. I've changed locales and changed them back, changed the unicode language preference and gone back, uninstalled and reinstalled java, and even gone back to the native Japanese OS. That *&^% applet still won't display Japanese characters properly. It always did under XP -- no problems at all. (Both in an English XP and a Japanese XP, no problems.) Moreover, netdania java applets in Japanese run perfectly with no screen garbage anywhere.

Lastly, the brokerage site seems clueless about helping -- their advice is the basic browser version and font and java capability advice, all of which I meet or exceed. This problem exhibits in *both* MSIE and Firefox. And with both browsers, this seems to be the only page I can find on the planet that doesn't display correctly. This is a large brokerage firm however, and if the page was not displaying properly for most users, there would be a firestorm, and they would quickly fix it. So it *is* displaying properly for most users (including on my husband's XP Home Japanese box), thus I have to assume there is still something I'm missing on my end. But I'll be hanged if I can figure it out. I've tried everything I know, which is not insubstantial, given that I've worked in bilingual computing environments (Japanese/English and the reverse) for years. But I need some help here. Thanks.

Many possible causes

Sun, 2010-08-15 08:16 by admin

There are many possible causes, and they are difficult to find without sitting at the problem machine.

One is that the Unicode (I would hope) font that the applet uses is missing or defective on the problem machine.

You could try to ask the applet makers which font they use for display, then check whether that font is present and functioning for the problem characters.

Comment got lost

Sun, 2010-08-15 14:39 by admin

Yuki, your comment got lost due to a faulty anti-spam program. I still saw it, but it never got posted. Sorry for that. The message was that you will check for the font.

Please report what you find.

Will update again later. So

Tue, 2010-08-17 07:26 by Yuki

Will update again later. So far, the brokerage tried to lay the blame on English language interference. Their "solution" was to delete the English language pack and go 100 % Japanese. I did that, but with the same results. They will have another idea for me to try tonight, I guess. I have a sinking feeling about this one.

Follow advice

Tue, 2010-08-17 07:53 by admin

Did you read and follow the advice above, in the comment Many possible causes?

Solved. I probably should

Tue, 2010-08-17 13:50 by Yuki

Solved.

I probably should have checked this sooner, but it was the Region and Language 'Formats' tab. I still had it set for English (US), even though I had converted the entire OS back to its native Japanese and uninstalled the English language pack.

What finally sunk into my brain was the fact that the Java Console was always in English, even though I had uninstalled and reinstalled from a Japanese site. During the install, it would indeed be in Japanese, but as soon as the install finished it would come up English.

Unfortunately, setting that tab to Japanese causes date formatting that I do not like, adding Chinese characters to many dates, and always putting the year first on the date in the system tray. But, I have discovered that I can flip that setting, which thankfully does *not* require a reboot, load that page, flip it right back, and as long as I don't close the browser, apparently I can even close that app and re-open it, and it displays properly. A *bit* of an annoyance, but probably one I'll have to put up with.

I'm curious however, why the Netdania java charts display correctly in Japanese, along with every other java application I've tried to load, even with that format setting on English. It's still a case where only that one java app on that one page doesn't play nicely with my system configured exactly as I'd like to have it configured.

Thanks for reading everyone, and I hope this helps anyone else who gets tripped up in bi-lingual land.

(BTW, I did ask them what font they were using, but they didn't reply to that part of my question. I was going to follow up with them about that, but I did feel it was quite a long shot, being a) Windows newest and greatest OS in b) Japanese, and c) brand new, so I thought it was extremely unlikely it was a font problem, although the possibility could not be ruled out until checked. But solved before we got there.)

Congratulations

Tue, 2010-08-17 20:22 by admin

It always feels good to have such a problem solved.

My take is that the programmer who did the applet must have been rather incompetent, as it is technically not difficult to write a program or an applet that displays in a certain language totally regardless of any system settings.

Today we have fonts and encodings (Unicode) that can display Japanese or any other language anywhere, independent of the system's origin or settings.

さようなら

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.